Parents’ Memories to Share .pdf >>
Read over the questions and write down some brief notes.
You will have the opportunity to share your memories. If you
do not want to share on any of the questions, not sharing
is also an option.
- Do you remember when you realized that boys and girls
were different? Did your parents expect different things
from your brothers/sisters?
- Were you the first or last in your group of friends to
mature? How old were you? What happened? What were your
thoughts and feelings then and now?
- How did your family handle physical expressions of affection,
questions about sex, or nudity? How helpful were your parents
in talking with you about sex?
- What style of discipline did your parents use? strict,
judgmental, loving, easy, consistent?
- If you were raised in a home with two parents, did they
share the discipline, did they support each other, was one
easier/stricter than the other? How did you respond to the
- What did you like about your teen relationship with your
parents? How did they help you? Did they teach you, listen
to you, accept your feelings, praise you, trust you…?
- What did you dislike about your teen relationship with
your parents? Why did you dislike these things? Were they
too strict, busy, aloof, judgmental, critical…?
- Was religion an important part of your family life? What
were your thoughts and feelings then and now?
- Are you raising your child/children the way you were
raised? Are you raising daughters/sons the same way or differently?
Mary Lee O’Connell, CRNP - 8/04 ©