Your Teens and Their Sexuality - Their Questions & Your Answers
The purpose of this workshop is to provide parents with proven activities and creative techniques for abstinence education.
Need help to talk with teens about abstinence? This workshop
is for you! Learn new activities and suggestions including:
interpreting media messages; increasing parent-teen communication;
and developing refusal, decision-making and communication
At the end of the workshop parents will be able to:
1. List the different meanings of the word sex: gender, sexuality
2. Identify sexuality as the gift of God (Genesis 2).
3. List the five parts of sexuality - spiritual, physical,
intellectual, creative and emotional. (Notice how the first
letters of those aspects spell SPICE.)
4. Discuss what Pope John Paul II 's Theology of the Body
teaches about God's gift of sexuality and fertility.
5. Discuss how teens can learn to love others as Jesus loves
6. Describe teaching strategies that assist teens to explore
the media's messages and the effects of these messages.
7. Describe techniques to increase teens' refusal skills.
8. Discuss age appropriate answers to teens' questions.
9. Describe teaching strategies to increase parent-teen communication.
10. Describe techniques that help teens and parents identify
character traits that support chastity.
11. List how parents can support other parents to protect
12. Discuss answers to parents' questions.
13. Discuss the recommended resource and book list.
Parents will learn how to assist teens to develop communication skills needed to make the right choices. Other activities will be presented to encourage parent-teen communication: "Parent Facts and Kid Facts," "The Family Values Interview," and "The Readiness Questions." In addition, "What to Do If You Are Not Sure," "Lines & Comebacks" and "Practicing Refusal Skills" will demonstrate how parents can prepare teens to make better choices. The final activity, "Relationships," helps parents and teens identify the character traits needed to form good relationships that support chastity.
1 ½ hour workshop using, overheads, slides, discussions, questions and answers, and helpful handouts and resources.
Mary Lee O'Connell, CRNP - 8/04