Mission Possible - How to Talk With Teens About Difficult Sexual Topics
The purpose of this workshop is to empower parents to communicate more effectively with their teens about difficult sexuality topics.
This workshop focuses on parents' right and responsibility
to be their teens primary sexuality educators. It empowers
parents to communicate more effectively about
God's plan for the gifts of sexuality and fertility and clarify
what abstinence REALLY means. There is an opportunity to discuss
answers to teens most frequently asked questions and review
recommended books and resources.
At the end of the session, the parents will be able to:
1. Discuss the five parts of sexuality - spiritual, physical,
intellectual, creative and emotional. (Notice how the first
letters of those aspects spell SPICE.)
2. Discuss what Pope John Paul II 's Theology of the Body
teaches about God's gift of sexuality and fertility.
3. Discuss the falsehood of the media's "safe sex"
4. Define what abstinence REALLY means.
5. Describe why modesty and chastity are winning choices.
6. Discuss why masturbation, pornography and homosexual activity
conflict with God's plan for sexuality.
7. Discuss why condoms and other forms of contraception are
contrary to the teachings of the Catholic Church.
8. Discuss why following God's plan is the only way to prevent
STDs/AIDS and abortion.
9. Discuss how God can help teens make healthy choices.
10. Discuss age appropriate answers to teens' questions.
11. Discuss answers to parents' questions.
12. Discuss recommended book and resource list.
This interactive workshop will use overheads, discussions, engaging questions and answers, helpful handouts and resource and book lists.
Mary Lee O'Connell, CRNP - 8/04