A Family Workshop (Grades 7-8)
Also Known As
Boys to Men; In Sync With God's Plan
This workshop helps parents/guardians share God's plan for
the gift of sexuality and fertility as they encourage their
sons to respect and protect their unique sexual powers given
This more advanced workshop brings parents/guardians and boys
together to learn even more about God's gift of sexuality
and fertility. The workshop encourages boys to respect and
protect the unique sexual powers given by God. They learn
the falsehoods behind the media's "safe sex" message, get
answers to their age-appropriate questions, and learn why
chastity is the winning choice.
At the end of the workshop boys and their parents/guardians
will be able to:
1. List the three meanings of the word sex: gender, sexuality
2. Identify sexuality as the gift of God (Genesis 2).
3. List the five parts of sexuality - spiritual, physical,
intellectual, creative and emotional. (Notice how the first
letters of those aspects spell SPICE.)
4. Review the physical and psychological changes of puberty.
5. Discuss what Pope John Paul II 's Theology of the Body
teaches about God's gift of sexuality and fertility.
6. Describe the falsehood of the media's "safe sex"
7. Discuss why masturbation, pornography and homosexual activity
conflict with God's plan for sexuality.
8. Discuss why condoms and other forms of contraception are
contrary to the teachings of the Catholic Church.
9. Discuss why following God's plan is the only way to prevent
STD/AIDS and abortion.
10. Describe why modesty and chastity are winning choices.
11. Identify the good hygiene and health habits for men.
12. Discuss age appropriate answers to their questions.
13. Identify why boys need to talk with parents/guardians
14. Discuss how to talk with parents/guardians about sex.
15. Discuss how God can help you make healthy choices.
1 ½ hour interactive workshop using a "Quiz show" ice-breaker, overheads, slides, discussions, questions and answers, and helpful handouts.
Mary Lee O'Connell, CRNP - 8/04