BOYS (Grades 5-6)
What's NORMAL Anyway?
A Workshop for Boys and the Parents and Guardians Who Love Them
T his workshop helps parents/guardians share God's plan for
the gift of sexuality as they prepare their sons for the often
confusing physical and psychological changes of puberty.
This workshop brings parents/guardians and boys together to
learn more about God's gift of sexuality and the mysterious
changes of puberty. They learn when, how and why a boy's body
changes. What happens first and what is NORMAL anyway? They
will get answers for the age-appropriate scary sexual questions
that they are often unable to ask. The workshop also comes
with the information that could be included in an "owner's
manual" on how to care for your body.
A t the end of the workshop boys and their parents/guardians
will be able to:
1. List the different meanings of the word sex: gender and
2. Identify sexuality as the gift of God (Genesis 2).
3. List the five parts of sexuality - spiritual, physical,
intellectual, creative and emotional. (Notice how the first
letters of those aspects spell SPICE.)
4. Discuss what Pope John Paul II 's Theology of the Body
teaches about God's gift of sexuality and fertility.
5. Describe how they can inherit different growth patterns
from their families.
6. Discuss how boys and girls can grow at different rates.
7. List the physical changes that occur during puberty.
8. Identify the psychological changes that occur during puberty.
9. List how to care for a healthy body.
10. Discuss how they can learn to love others as Jesus loves
11. Identify why boys need to talk with parents/guardians
about their changing bodies.
12. Describe how boys can talk with their parents/guardians
13. Describe how parents/guardians can help each others children
make healthy choices.
14. Discuss age appropriate answers to their questions.
1 ½ hour interactive workshop using a "Quiz show" ice-breaker, overheads, slides, discussions, questions and answers, and helpful handouts.
Mary Lee O'Connell, CRNP - 8/04